Wednesday 26 August 2009

HEA ICS Conference 09, University of Kent at Canterbury

At the HEA ICS Conference now. Feels like I’ve spent my whole summer travel to conferences!

I like the HEA ICS Conference as it has such a friendly feel about it, loads of opportunities to network and is generally very well organised. And tonight we are going to have dinner at Leeds Castle in Kent!

The topics of this conference reflect what has been said at other conferences I attended, terms like ‘google generation’ appear in presentation titles and it was discussed whether students would like their lecturers to ‘encroach’ on their social networking space or not.

One advocate of moving away from the VLE towards Web 2.0 tools to communicate to students was Roger James, the second keynote speaker. I have videoed parts of his talk which he kindly allowed me to publish (but he would, wouldn’t he – being an advocate of Web 2.0/google/mash-ups etc..)
[I just noticed that the video and audio quality is atrocious! I’ve used a Creative Vado pocket video cam to film]

Here are my presentation slides: http://www.slideshare.net/andreagorra/presentation-andrea-gorra-hea-ics-conference-09 – I can’t believe that I’m presenting tomorrow morning at 9am (!), the morning after the conference dinner.

Several “winning concepts” (this is my terminology) were established by the first keynote speaker, Michael Koelling, amongst others:
- 1) Allow students to take control,
- 2) Connect to students' own interest,
- 3) 'Show others' [i.e. give students a space to share their work with others]



No comments:

Post a Comment